Skip to content



What is an edible?
Short for marijuana edible: Any edible product that contains THC. Some of the most common edibles include brownies, cookies, suckers, and candy, and drinks. Although it varies from person to person, edibles tend to result in a much more intense and longer-lasting high than smoking. After consuming an edible, it generally takes 45-60 minutes (sometimes longer, again, it depends upon the individual) for one to start feeling the effects.


Is it possible to overdose on marijuana Edibles? Yes.
In many cases people are overdosing from eating edibles because it takes 45-60 minutes to begin to feel the effects from marijuana edibles. Though the packaging usually states how much to eat, people are ingesting more then the recommended amount during the lengthy wait time, causing a high that is much stronger and powerful then they are prepared for, causing severe 
psychosis episodes and very often leading to hospitalization.
There are currently no regulations as to how much a serving size is. Meaning at any point you could eat a brownie, cookie, candy bar, etc with 10% THC then the next time eat something with 80% THC. There is no consistency or regulation on how much THC is allowed to be sold in an edible. 

Small Kids and ACCIDENTALLY  ingesting Edibles

Edible marijuana is most commonly in the form of treats: cookies, drink, cakes and candies, making it very appealing to children and leading to ingestion and severe side effects requiring hospitalizations. Even if a product is sold in a childproof container, or kept out of reach, once the package is opened, it is easily accessible and appealing to children. In addition, children may react differently from adults because their bodies cannot metabolize the drug. Edibles are marketed to look a lot like common candies and treats found on store shelves, thus also making them easy to confuse with real treats. 

what is a Serving?

There is no regulated serving size for marijuana edibles because of the fact that THC levels are not regulated as far as how much THC can be made into these edibles.  One piece of candy could have 20% THC while another one of the same kind could hold 30% or more. 

Biggest Misconceptions

One of the biggest misconceptions about edible marijuana is that it is safe and better for you than smoking. Though it does not have the same effects of smoking on your lungs, it still effects your body in many other ways. You body still has to metabolize the THC in your body making you liver, kidneys and many of you internal organs process this foreign substance.  many people have no idea exactly how much THC they are ingesting into their bodies because edibles are not regulated. There have been many reports in Colorado Hospitals of people coming in having Overdosed on edibles, not solely because they consumed too much but also because a small bite could carry THC levels as high at 90%. Ingesting THC levels this high can cause serious Psychosis episodes, hallucinations, slow breathing, respiratory problems, an accelerated heartbeat, loss of control, and uncontrollable body movements and shaking. 

See Some Examples

Scroll To Top